Dementia cafés provide an opportunity for people with dementia, family members and carers to meet regularly and talk about living with dementia, in an informal social environment and ask questions of professionals. You will provide support to the café facilitator to enable people affected by dementia to engage with and socialise with other group members or participants in a welcoming and non-judgemental environment.
What day: Friday Morning (Fortnightly)
How many hours: 3 (10am – 1pm)
Minimum Commitment: 6 months
Where: Time and Talents, The Old Mortuary, St Marychurch Street, Rotherthithe, SE16 4JE
About Alzhiemer's Society
850,000 people are living with dementia in the UK, along with the friends and family who support them.
A world without dementia
Their Mission:To transform the landscape of dementia forever. Until the day we find a cure, we will strive to create a society where those affected by dementia are supported and accepted, able to live in their community without fear or prejudice.
Main activities/tasks of volunteering role:
- Helping set out the room in an agreed layout
- Putting out signage and recording attendees
- Preparing and distributing simple refreshments, collecting in and washing items used
- Welcoming and talking with people with dementia and carers of people with dementia
- Liaising with the café facilitator to support planned group activities
- Supporting the café facilitator by encouraging participation
- Supporting the collection of feedback from the groups
- Tidying up the room after the session
This role will suit you if you...
- Enjoy meeting new people
- Have good verbal communication skills especially face to face.
- Know about, or are willing to learn about, dementia and its impact on people
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality and can show this in practice
- References are required for this role
- Are prepared to complete induction into the role, necessary training and attend future support meetings
- No specific qualifications or experience are needed.
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- Make a difference to the lives of people affected by dementia
- Support meetings allow us to identify what skills you would like to develop
- An opportunity to develop in the charity sector
- This role is very sociable
- All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed
- You will have a dedicated role manager who will support you
- A full induction and ongoing support sessions will be given
- A full elearning package, along with opportunities to attend our internal training sessions
For more information or to apply:
Contact Michael Wortley – Volunteering officer
Direct Line – 07484 516 282
Website – www.Alzheimers.org.uk