This half-day training for advisers is provided by Advising London, Cambridge House Law Centre, Southwark Law Centre and Working Families.
This training package is aimed at advisers and volunteers, to help them understand more about employment law and in-work benefits. It may also be useful for more specialist advisers to update their training in discrimination and leave rights for parents. Provided by local employment solicitors and benefit specialists, the training will include case studies and practical advice to keep parents in work, as well as legal remedies.
The course will cover:
- General employment rights on maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave; eligibility, pay and benefits and where to go if there are problems.
- Discrimination against parents at work: what is pregnancy and maternity discrimination, how to challenge employers, the rules on discrimination by association with a disabled child. Raising grievances and starting a tribunal claim: what can parents do to raise complaints while remaining in work, time limits, help with tribunal fees.
- Rights to time off for dependants and unpaid parental leave: using little known rights to help parents deal with emergencies or childcare gaps.
- Help with childcare costs – the options for parents, including information on Tax-free childcare.
- In-work benefits for parents: Sure Start Maternity Grant, Healthy Start Vouchers, Tax Credit and Universal Credit.
- Flexible working - parents’ rights to flexible working, and using indirect sex discrimination.
Venue and booking info:
Wednesday 20 September from 9.30am to 1pm at Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, 3 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2AQ The course is provided for free, thanks to Trust for London and our hosts, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP.
Book your place here.