Volunteers provide emotional and practical support to patients attending eye clinics at Moorfields Hospital. Patients are those who have recently been diagnosed with sight loss and/or are receiving treatment. Clinics run weekly so ideally volunteers will be able to make a commitment to attend for half a day per week at the particular hospital.
Main Aspects of the role
Be present in the clinic waiting room and approaching patients to offer a variety of support which can include:
- Guiding patients around the clinic and hospital – including supporting with getting food and drinks
- Sitting in appointments with patients who are vulnerable and alone where requested
- Reading information and documents aloud to patients
- Providing non-medical information e.g. about other support services or organisations that might be helpful
- Listening to patients concerns and offering emotional support
- Giving information and feedback to hospital staff
Desirable skills, experience and qualities
- Calm, with an empathetic and friendly nature
- Understand the difference between giving information and giving advice, and be able to empower people to make their own decisions
- To be alert and able to keep an eye on situations so that you can offer help when its needed
- You don’t need to have experience of supporting people who are blind or partially sighted as they will provide training and support
What you will learn and achieve
- A good understanding of how to support people who are blind or partially sighted
- A chance to do something positive and give something to your local community
- The opportunity to demonstrate your communication and organisation skills in a social care/hospital environment
- Development of knowledge, skills and experience which will enhance your CV
- A branded t-shirt and ID badge will be provided and must be worn at all times when on hospital premises
- Following an interview, they will take up references. Moorfields Hospital will then ask you to complete an enhanced DBS check, Occupational Health check and information governance test before you can start volunteering in the clinic.
- They can provide references for all committed volunteers after two months or eight episodes of volunteering.