Action Tutoring is an education charity that supports disadvantaged young people to achieve meaningful qualifications on leaving primary and secondary school. Action Tutoring recognise how powerful tutoring can be in supporting a child academically and believe it shouldn't be accessed only by those who can afford it.
About the role
- They will place you as an English or maths tutor in one of their partner schools (they currently work in around 18 schools in south London)
- You will support one or two pupils for an hour a week across the course of a school term; either before, during or after school.
- Sessions are delivered on the school premises at the same time each week; they also have one-off volunteering opportunities.
- Action Tutoring provide all of their tutors with training and resources and process a free DBS check for you.
What they are looking for?
- They are looking for people who want to support young people to succeed
- They want their tutors to feel confident in the subject they are leading on, so they ideally would like you to have achieved a B or above in this subject, or similar, at A Level (or in an equivalent qualification) and have achieved, or be studying for, a degree.
- Experience working with young people is helpful but not essential.
- All volunteers must be willing to undergo a DBS check.
- They will pay travel expenses of up to £5 per tutoring session attended.
- Their opportunities can be done with friends and they currently have volunteers aged 18-80, from all different backgrounds, including students, full time employees and retired individuals.
Skills you will gain
Teamwork, interpersonal, organisational, leadership, listening, mentoring
Apply/ find out more
- Phone number: 020 7803 4988