Finance Made Easy is a one day course that is ideal for anybody working in the voluntary and community sector (including social enterprises) looking to improve their confidence when dealing with finances.
The session will incorporate practical exercises and discussion to explore the key components of good financial management, including the role of financial controls; budgets; cash flow and management accounts.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for:
- Trustees (not just the Treasurer!) who want to understand how they can implement and utilise good financial management
- Paid staff (managers) who are non-Finance people who want to understand the how good financial management works.
1. Financial jargon buster
2. Financial Responsibilities of Trustees
3. The components of good financial management:
- A clear finance strategy
- A plan for generating income
- Robust financial management system (includes: role of financial strategy; budget incl. Full Cost Recovery and knowing your break-even point); monthly cash flow; book keeping and bank reconciliation; monthly income and expenditure accounts; financial controls; meeting regulatory requirements)
- An accountable internal environment.
4. Practical exercises and case studies to explore the role of all of the above
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of Trustees in relation to Finance
- Understand the link between financial strategy and organisational planning
- Be able to calculate the full costs of your projects and identify your break-even point
- Analyse the implications of cash flow projections and monthly management accounts
- Understand the key role of financial controls for accurate reporting and in preventing fraud
- Be aware of the financial reporting requirements for your organisation's legal form
Community Southwark Members - Free
Non - members - £50
Please see our Training Terms and Conditions before booking your place. We ask that a maximum of two people per organisation book to attend as we have limited places.
Lunch is not provided for this course. Ideally, if you could bring lunch with you that would be great. Otherwise there is a café next to Cambridge House, or we can provide you with directions to other local cafes and supermarkets nearby.
We offer bespoke training and consultancy for organisations wishing to undergo a tailor-made programme specific to their requirements. For more information about this training, please call 020 7358 7021.