The Small Project is a baby clothes library near Kennington/Elephant and Castle, south London. It collects donations of good quality second hand baby clothes and equipment and provides these to families who need them.
The organisation started giving out clothes bundles in 2015 and officially became a charity in 2016. It is run by a small team of volunteers (including families who use the service) who want to make sure that good quality baby clothes and equipment which are no longer needed by one family can easily be passed on to another.
Become a session volunteer!
Session Volunteers are essential to the running of The Small Project sessions. They are the ones who go through the donations and make sure the items of clothing and equipment they’re distributing are of great quality. Their Session Volunteers work with service users to make sure their needs are met, that they supply them with what they need to be able to take care of their babies. While working with the service users, the session volunteers give the a listening ear, and offer support and understanding.
When: Thursday 9:45am-12pm
Minimum Commitment: 2 mornings a month for 6 months
Where: The Oasis Play Space next to the Imperial War Museum, Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park
The Small Project receives donations of pre-loved children's clothing and other items which are then made available to local families. A normal session will usually involve: setting up the space and bringing out the relevant boxes of clothes; welcoming families and helping them to find what they’re looking for; chatting to people to share useful information. It will also often involve sorting through new donations, assessing their suitability for use, and storing things appropriately.
Who are they looking for?
The Small Project is looking for someone friendly and pro-active and calm who can help the sessions run smoothly even when busy. Ideal candidates would have:
- patience and empathy
- good listening and talking skills
- organisational skills
- previous experience of working with families, new parents, and people who
- are coming from hardship situations
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
Volunteers with The Small Project can expect to:
- gain teamwork and organizational skills
- be able to update their CV
- improve their self confidence
- meet and interact with new people
- help to make a difference in the community
Volunteers with The Small Project can also:
- learn more about sustainability issues especially pertaining to clothing
- bring young children to the sorting sessions as the sessions take place in the Oasis Play Space (though you will be responsible for your own children)
- meet other like minded volunteers
To find out more information or apply
Visit their website
Contact Andrea Yordan, Volunteer Coordinator at: email@example.com