Come and join us from 12pm to 6pm on Saturday 17 November at Tate Exchange, Tate Modern, for an afternoon showcasing some of the fantastic civil Society groups making Southwark a better place.
You will have the opportunity to take part in workshops, view films and performances by local makers and groups and speak to charities to find out about their work and how you can get involved as a volunteer.
You can also read the stories of local volunteers which we will have up around the venue!
We will have a rolling showreel of films by local makers with a particular focus on female filmmakers tackling a range of issues from regeneration, to gentrification, diversity and creativity. This is presented in partnership with South Social Film festival.
Workshops and performances:
We will have a schedule of performances and workshops on the day that you can drop in to see and take part in.
- 12:00 - 12:30 – Performance: Theatre Peckham
- 12:45 – 1:15 – Performance: Siobhan Davies Dance Studio - MariaMiguel R Dances, TuneIN
- 1:30 – 3:00 - Dance Workshop: Siobhan Davies Dance Studio - finding joy through movement, TuneIN
TuneIN: In this session the main focus is in finding joy through movement, dancing together and have a good time. Through guided verbal & musical input, individual & group tasks, we have the chance to:
- develop the connection between body & mind, self & collective awareness
- challenge creativity, while exploring choreographic tools and finding new ways to improvise.
- 3.15 – 4:30 – Workshop: Coin Street Community Builders – Singing workshop / Arts workshop for 50+
- 4:45 - 5:30: Workshop: Southwark LGBT Network will be presenting an exhibition and workshop on LGBTQ+ Communities in Southwark from 1980’s to the present day.
Meet local charities:
Discover the amazing work of some of our local charities in Southwark. There will be a marketplace of stalls from local organisations where you can find out more about activities in the borough and how you can get involved.
- Community Southwark
- Time and Talents
- Bede House
- Link Age Southwark
- Free to be Kids
- South Social film Festival
- Coin Street Neighbourhood Centre
- Shakespeares Globe
- Blackfriars Settlement
Tate Exchange address: Tate Exchange, Tate Modern, Blavatnik building, 5th Floor, Bankside, London SE1 9TG.
Save the date information:
Southwark Stars gives us the opportunity to celebrate those who take the time to volunteer to support others thus helping to make Southwark a better place. In addition to the Southwark Stars Awards event this year, we are going to continue the celebration by displaying posters of nominees and winners, and their stories, at the Tate Exchange space for the weekend following the event. So your nomination might not only result in a special award for a valued volunteer, but also their story being shared and celebrated with hundreds of visitors to the Tate!
The award Ceremony will be held on Friday 16 November from 6pm to which successful nominees and a designated number of organisation and family representatives will be invited too.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Volunteering@communitysouthwark.org or call 0207 358 7020